Sunday, February 19, 2012

Big Orange: Small Orange

One January Winter afternoon, as I walked along my neighbor's driveway to give care for their rabbits while they were on vacation, I looked across a wooded area and on the ground of this grey, dreary day, I spied a large colorful orange. Upon inspection, it looked to be in perfect condition, uncompromised. I peeled it. It smelled OK. It tasted OK, and I thoroughly enjoyed this juicy orange. As I was leaving, walking back along their driveway, I heard God say, 

"I can even provide fresh citrus." 

To which I replied, "That's good because I would get tired of manna."
Two days later, I was walking down a path in my neighborhood that I seldom had reason to take. Halfway down the path,  my body turned around and I looked back to see another, much smaller orange, about 8 feet from the path. I went back and picked it up. I then continued on my way. After reaching my destination, the home of a client, I took that small orange and put it into my large coat pocket.

God said, "If you take that orange into the house you will have to share it with those four children." 

To which I said, "If I don't feel like sharing it I can just leave it in my pocket." 

After about 15 minutes in their home, I was upstairs playing with the kids so my friend could get ready for the arrival of her midwife. I didn't make a conscious decision to share the orange; I just remember sitting on the end of the bed with this tiny orange in hand, started to peel it and four little drooling, bright eyed faces waited eagerly as if anticipating a candy delight. I divied out one teeny, tiny slice to each child, then took two for me, and continued to give another slice to each of the children. 

There was one tiny section left. I held it up and asked, "Who should get this one? Me?" To which one of the little boys grabbed the slice, hesitated for any objections, and without any, he quickly put it in his mouth. This was a delightful experience.

Upon leaving their home, God said, "I will use you to feed many."

'Well, that's cool,' I thought.

I am learning I seldom truly understand the interpretation of all God says to me. But sometimes I use my imagination to envision a crowd of hungry people all around me, and after picking up a loaf sized rock, looking up to heaven, blessing God for His provision and commanding the rock to become bread. Then, I envision breaking the bread and passing it around and all eat and are satisfied. It is a fun image to have.

All we do here in this life, whether a big or small action, has consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment